Saturday 20 November 2010

First Impressions: Sin and Punishment 2: Successor of the Skies

Man, that's one hefty title. Anyway, I got my hands on a hidden gem by the name of Sin and Punishment 2 recently, and I'll tell you something: It's awesome. And it's difficult. Very difficult. I knew that the game wouldn't be easy when I picked it up, so I naturally picked the Easy mode for my first playthrough (there's really no shame in that) and even that mode's pretty damn hard.

So what's the whole jist of Sin and Punishment then? Well, you could call it an on-rails shooter with a twist. The slight difference here is that your character is on screen, and can be moved around to dodge bullets and perform melee attacks. Apart from that, this is your average on-rails game but a hell of a lot more mental. Hundreds of enemies swarm around the screen while your character runs at a very fast pace. Bullets are flying all around the screen and explosions are occuring more than often. This really is one of the most technically impressive games on the Wii, and it deserves a big pat on the back for showing off to all those annoying Xbox fanboys. In short, take that!

Sin and Punishment 2 has a fairly ridiculous story, following a teenage kid called Isa who vows to protect his new partner Katchi from something called the Nebulox. Katchi is actually an alien though, and the bad guys want to get their hands on her for their own evil deeds. You won't be playing Sin and Punishent 2 for it's story, however, as the main focus is tooth-shredding action. If you're one of those types who bought a Wii just to play casual stuff like Wii Fit and Boom Blox (both of which I have nothing against) then this game will literally give you a seizure. Well, it won't, but don't get the game anyway. I've kept this one short because there's so much I want to write about in my actual review, which I'll start work on very soon. I've still got No More Heroes 2 and The World Ends with You to deal with first, mind. In the end, get Sin and Punishment 2 if you think you'll like it. Don't get Sin and Punishment 2 if you don't think you'll like it. Sorted!

No comments: